I enjoyed contributing a bit of art to this project, wish I had more time to have done more!
A downloadable game for Windows, macOS, and Linux
Rogue Cadet is a 2D SHMUP/Roguelite game where you try to survive in a procedural bullet hell.
Helped only by your hamster-powered ships.
In a nutshell:
- Fight in a monster-clustered dungeon
- Make money
- Craft a more awesome ship
Oh, and big explosions, don't forget about big explosions.
The keyboard controls are based on AZERTY by default. You can rebind them easily in the settings (from the main menu or the pause menu).
Playing with a gamepad is recommended. The controls defaults to an Xbox 360 mapping. But then again, you can rebind them in the settings menu.
The menus are only navigable with the keyboard or the gamepad, there's no mouse support (yet).
- SHMUP: Dodge bullets with precision, explode countless enemies, feel like the most powerful human being ever. The advantages of a SHMUP are countless.
- Roguelite: Nothing gets you the "one more time" feeling like a fast paced roguelite (except maybe slot machines).
- Progression: Who doesn't want to be more powerful? Having an overpowered ship thanks to the death of countless cadets, that's priceless.
- Strategy: You'll have to choose among multiple ships, and equip them with various upgrades and weapons. But here's the catch: you can only carry so much weight, so you'll have to make choices.
- (Bonus) Colorblind mode: Not perfect, but if you're a deuteranope or a protanope, you should be able to experience the game as intended.
Attention citizens! Your mighty and benevolent leaders just discovered
an ancient Alien sanctuary. As you know, our leaders are always eager to
improve our safety through better armament. And this the perfect
occasion, as at the core of this sanctuary, lies an incommensurable
source of power! But we need you! Exploring the ruins is no easy task,
and only those compatible with our glorious hamster-powered ships have a
chance of success. As such all, individuals aged 14 to 60 must present
themselves to a compatibility test center for immediate assessment.
Those lucky enough will be selected and sent to the sanctuary. There,
those "cadets" will have the incredible opportunity to glorify
themselves, their family, and the entire nation! So onwards! Time to
kill some monsters! What amazing days we live in!
- Game engine: Unity 5
- Musics: "Cyborg Ninja" and "Level Up", both by Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com)
Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License
- Sounds: Made by me, with bfxr
- Graphics (player ships): Mark Hatcher
- Graphics (logo & room tileset): Markus Just
- Graphics (enemy ships, bullets, explosion): "Spaceship Shooter Environment" by ansimuz
- Everything else: Maxime Lo Re
Another thing. This project is done in an open source way. Which means you have access to the source code (obviously) (MIT license), but also to every design document. I also keep a devlog where I write what I do every workday. If you want to see what an Indie dev do everyday and/or hear me rant, this is the file you're looking for.
Click download now to get access to the following files:
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.